Arrowhead Provincial Park
Located just north of Huntsville on Hwy 11, this small provincial park is certainly chock full of great outdoor adventure options. There are several great hiking trails through rocky Canadian Shield country, with fine lookouts and wildlife viewing opportunities. Or you might prefer canoeing or kayaking on one of several lakes in the park or the meandering Big East River along the south edge of this map. There are also several fully-serviced campgrounds to choose from.
And don’t forget the winter season, for Arrowhead has some really excellent ski trails, including a skating loop.
Our large-scale 1:12,000 topographic map shows all trails, lakes, streams, wetlands, open areas, extraordinary contour detail and even individual campsites.
And the back side, as usual is filled with informative text and colour photographs about the natural and human history of the area, trail descriptions, canoe routes, safety tips, contact info, and more. Like many of our other maps this one has been adopted as the official map of the park.
What makes The Adventure Map® special?
Well, just about everything!
Other maps are just traced copies of government topos, or made from outdated and generalized government data unsuited for the extraordinary wilderness adventures our maps are designed for. Instead, as North America’s only original wilderness recreation map series, we create our maps from scratch, and pack each product with features like these:
- compact size (no wasted space)
- sensible boundaries (important features aren’t split between 2 or 4 maps!)
- extraordinary geographic details (more than any other map)
- detailed vegetation including forests, open areas, avalanche chutes, wetlands
- hiking trail details, access points, campsites
- historic features, services, points of interest
- detailed legend, scale, magnetic north, grid reference system and other helpers
- geographic names of mountains, lakes, rivers, valleys, glaciers, villages
- UTM Grid (GPS ready)
- extraordinary clarity, which is only possible from a “made-from-scratch” map
- printed on tough and waterproof plastic
Visitor Guide Side
- information about natural and human history
- trail and recommended route descriptions, distances, time allowances, difficulty
- descriptions of attractions and points of interest
- safety tips, local services, contact information
- extraordinary colour photos of area features
- detailed legend, if not on the map side due to space limitations
- attractive cover showing photo from area
- detailed location map including road names, nearby towns, other parks, distances
- on paddling maps – portages & distances, campsites, access points, rapids, falls, dams, route distance markings
More about The Adventure Maps
This exciting series of quality topographic maps features many of Canada’s greatest National Parks, major Provincial and Territorial Parks and other popular wilderness recreation areas. It is a major change in the way wilderness recreation maps are made, in that this series is (still) the only one in Canada that involves original, made from scratch topographic maps (ALL the others are simply copies of outdated and low-detail government topos). There are over 40 titles presently, with new titles released each year, along with regular updates every 2-4 years. They are receiving exceedingly favourable reviews with “the finest maps we’re ever seen” being a regular comment by outdoor adventurers, map enthusiasts, park officials and the general user.
Below are some of the reasons why we’re getting such reviews:
Designed for Adventurers
The Adventure Map® is specifically designed for outdoor adventurers such as hikers, backpackers, and paddling enthusiasts who need an accurate, up-to-date, rugged map to get them into and safely back from the wilderness. You’ll find all kinds of innovations and enhancements not found on other maps. We’ve even eliminated those annoying declination problems for you.
Compact and Waterproof
The Adventure Map® is easy to read, and doesn’t require instructions to help you with folding! Our maps are also waterproof. In fact, we print on specially-made, extra tough, waterproof plastic. We stomped, crumpled and drowned this stuff to be certain it won’t let you down in adventurous (i.e. fog, rain, sleet, snow, sweat) situations. Use it as a water jug or rain hat in a pinch!
Loaded with Info
The Adventure Map® isn’t just an exceptionally fine topographic recreation map; there’s a bonus. We’ve also filled the other side of each sheet with colour photos and important information about the area including natural and human history, local regulations, outdoor tips, safety concerns, addresses, useful phone numbers and more. We work closely with Park personnel and other local experts who review every map and every word to ensure our research is accurate. There’s also a detailed location map on the back cover. In short, a great guide to the outdoors!
Each Map Is An Original
The publishers of other recreation map series and guidebooks in Canada (and the USA too) simply trace outdated and generalized government topos. We don’t! The Adventure Map® is an original. Initially we use aerial photogrammetry to create a completely original contour map showing exceptional terrain detail, vegetation, trails, buildings, water and other features of greatest importance to outdoor adventurers. Other maps simply can’t measure up because they are only reworked copies of generalized government topos.
We visit the site and conduct extensive field surveys of trails, campsites, portages, and other important features to ensure each map is accurate and fully up-to-date. Finally, our cartographer crafts all this information into an exceptionally detailed, exceptionally clear, full-colour map on one side, combined with detailed text and photographic information about the area on the other side.
Our goal is to make The Adventure Map®
the best outdoor recreation map you have ever seen.