Department Manager Cycling
Department Manager – Bikes / Cycling
At AO, we are focused on enabling people to get outside and lead active and adventurous lifestyles and cycling is one of the ways to do this!
As a Department Manager, you will use your skills to develop strong customer relationships and get more people riding bikes every day! We need someone who can manage our off-site rental fleet and bike service shop as well as guide our customers in their purchases to ensure they are selecting bikes and accessories that are best suited for their needs.
This year-round permanent position is located at our Huntsville store and requires experience working in a technical retail/ service setting, familiarity with point of sale and inventory management systems, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively as needed.
Come join an exceptional team!
What You Will Do (among other things…)
- Provide courteous, friendly, and efficient customer service, guiding customers toward bicycles, parts, and accessories that best fit their needs
- Lead and develop department staff in the delivery of excellent customer and technical service as well as sales
- Organize and execute the department’s promotions and events
- Work with the marketing and management teams to: develop creative promotions and create product displays, signs, announcements, etc. for events
- Enhance merchandising in the cycling department to appeal to AO’s customers
- Maintain and develop the retail space and shop floor to ensure a welcoming shopping environment
- Assist in maintaining an inclusive, well stocked, and clean retail environment
- Work with AO’s Buying team to maintain appropriate inventory levels of products
- Anticipate demand and seasonal changes to keep up with changes to the market
- Analyze sales trends to determine adequate stocking levels and product selection
- Work effectively with pro shop team for bike and ski/snowboard service.
In the winter season when bikes may be less popular, this role switches gears and works with the Ski/ Snowboard shop, providing technical service and repair for skis and snowboards.
What You Will Need
This position will require a team-focused approach, the capacity to anticipate demands, and the ability to provide coaching and feedback to ensure staff is supported in the delivery of services. You will need:
- A personal passion for cycling with knowledge of bicycles, their components, and accessories
- Three – five (3-5) years of experience in bike shop management and retail sales (i.e., wrenching experience)
- Managerial experience, including supervising and supporting staff is an asset
- You will have a drive to ask questions first, and then offer solutions
- We can’t say enough about the customer service, interpersonal and communication skills you will bring to AO
- You pride yourself on your organizational skills including the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks
- Fluency in MSOffice products, as well as comfort navigating POS and inventory management systems
- Knowledge of financial budgeting is an asset
- Flexibility and adaptability – AO is a family owned operation and staff wear many hats to ensure success
- Ability to proficiently use hand tools – you will need to roll up your sleeves to assist in the service groups
- Experience with Nordic ski sales and service is an asset
Employees at AO thrive in a fast-paced environment, can multitask & prioritize, follow through thoroughly on tasks with little supervision, and have a high standard of quality in all that they do.
This is a retail/ service role so you must be willing and able to work days, weekends, and some evenings, year-round.
What We Offer
In addition to your base pay, AO also offers a range of initiatives to support our employee’s well-being and work experience.
How to Let Us Know About You
We would love to receive your resume along with a brief cover letter that tells us more about you! Please be sure to include:
- A brief note (1-2 paragraphs) on who you are including why we want you!
- Your resume, highlighting to us where you have the skills and experience for this role
Who We Are
Algonquin Outfitters is an Outdoor Adventure Store with locations in Algonquin Park, Haliburton Highlands and Muskoka. We are family owned and have been fueling adventures since 1961!
Our operations are diverse and provide opportunity for individuals with a variety of skill sets. If you have an interest in Algonquin Park, Canoe Trips, Camping, Hiking, Technical Outdoor Products or Retail Operations, we have several opportunities that may appeal to you!
AO looks for individuals who want to join a team that is passionate about enabling people to get outside and lead active and adventurous lifestyles! For many of us at AO, it’s not so much a job as it is a way of life.
What it is Like to Work Here
Working at AO isn’t so much about work as it is a life experience. We firmly believe in staff expertise in the products and services that we provide, and that means we encourage you to try as many of the activities AO has to offer.
We are a team that ramps up to 175 employees during our peak seasons and embrace the diversity that so many team members bring to us.
Thank you for your interest in Algonquin Outfitters!
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.