Wildlife: What kind of wildlife can be seen in Algonquin Park?
Algonquin Park is home to many different types of animals, birds, reptiles, insects and fish.
- Moose – approximately 3,500 moose live in Algonquin Park
- White-tailed deer are often seen along Hwy. #60 on spring mornings
- Beaver – you may want to hike the Beaver Pond Trail
- Black Bear – about 2,000 black bears live in Algonquin Park
- Wolves – about 35 wolf packs reside in Algonquin Park
- Chipmunks & red squirrels are common small mammals in the park
- Loons – Algonquin Park’s most popular bird is seen on many lakes
- 272 recorded bird species have been identified in Algonquin Park
- 31 different species of reptiles and amphibians live in Algonquin Park
- 7,000 species of insects are buzzing around, including many butterflies, blackflies and mosquitoes
For more information on Algonquin Park’s wildlife visit The Science Behind Algonquin’s Animals website.