Wilderness Traverse 2019
My goal in the creation of the Wilderness Traverse is to place a challenge before your team that captures your collective imagination and no matter what the outcome, gives you an indelible memory of a very special place in Canada.
You will love it. You will hate it. You will feel powerful. You will want it to end. Then, when it’s all over and you’re back to your regular day-to-day life, you will crave to do it again.
I will do whatever I can to get your team to the finish line. All I ask is that you come to the start line, face the racecourse with an open mind, and push like hell until the time is up. You’ll be glad you did, I promise you
When: August 24th-25th, 2019
Where: Dorset, Ontario, Canada
Host Site: Dorset Recreation Centre
(1049 Main St, Dorset, ON P0A 1E0)
Click Here for a Google Map Link.
Categories: Teams of 3, or 4, can be Coed, All-Male, All-Female
Disciplines: Trekking, Canoeing, Mountain Biking, each requiring
Duration: Teams have up to 30 Hours to complete the course
Trekking 35km, Paddling 30km, Mountain Biking 85km*
*Distances are approximate and are largely impacted by individual team route selections
Short Courses: In order to give all teams the best chance of finishing, there will locations along the route where teams can choose a shorter course, or may be directed onto the shorter course if they miss a time cut-off.
Unsupported: The event will be completely “unsupported”, meaning the organization will transport your gear between the various transition areas. If you have friends and family who would like to follow the event, we’ll have maps available detailing “ideal” spectator points along the route. Or, better yet, have them sign-up as a volunteer for an inside look at the sport and your progress.
Early: $300 per person
(until April 11, 2019)
Regular: $325 per person
(until July 18, 2019)
Late: $350 per person
(until August 8th, 2019)
Registration closes on August 8th, 2019 at 23:59.
(Fees do not include online processing fees, or Ontario, Canada’s
Harmonized Sales Tax of 13%)
Entry Includes: Professionally designed and managed race-course,
transportation of all gear between transition areas, canoe rentals,
custom designed event t-shirt, finishers memento, use of emergency
communication devices (YellowBrick GPS Tracking and Texting
device), pre-race breakfast, post race brunch.
Schedule of Events
Friday, August 23, 2019
Race Check-In: 16:00 – 20:00
- Gear Check (must show specific gear indicated on the gear list with an asterisk)
- Navigation Test (teams who have finished comparable events, won’t need to complete this check). We’ll be testing knowledge of: topographic maps (symbols, contours, scales, distance & time estimates etc.), UTM grid system (identifying locations), and compasses (features & deriving bearings).
- Emergency Communication Device Pick-Up (teams will be shown how the Yellowbrick Tracker works & what to do in case of emergency)
We’ll aim to make registration as smooth as possible and don’t expect it will take more than 1 hour. Teams can check-in without all team members present, however they’ll need to have missing team-mates signed waivers and gear-check equipment in order to complete the check-in process.
Race Briefing: 20:00 – 21:30 (at least 2 members from each team must be present)
- Introduction of Race Staff & Sponsors
- Distribution of pre-marked race maps and instructions (teams will be given 45 minutes to review the maps before the Course Overview commences)
- Course Overview (The Event Director will describe the course and provide any pertinent information not contained on the maps or in the instructions)
Saturday, August 24, 2019
- Pre-Race Breakfast: 06:00 – 07:00
- Gear Drop-Off: 06:00 – 07:00 (Provide Gear Bins/Bags and Bikes to Race Management)
- Board Buses for drive to Start: 06:30 – 07:00 (Buses will depart at 07:00 sharp!)*
- *Depending on the course layout buses may or may not be utilized. Teams will find out if buses will be required at the Race Briefing on Friday evening.
- Arrive at Start Location: 07:45
- Race Start: 08:00
Sunday, August 25, 2019
- First Team Expected to Finish: 04:00 – 06:00
- Course Closes: 14:00 (All teams must be off the course at this time)
- Post Race Meal: available from 11:00 – 14:30
- Awards Ceremony: 14:30 and 15:00
Interested in finding a team, or require a team-mate to round out your roster?
Send me an e-mail (bob”at”wildernesstraverse”dot”ca) with a description of your
AR experience and goals. I’m currently keeping a list of teams and individuals and have been making matches frequently.
Adventure Racing Ontario Series
For those interested in seeing how their team stacks up against the competition in Ontario, Wilderness Traverse is a member of the Adventure Racing Ontario Series. Teams will earn points for the series by participating at Wilderness Traverse. More details can be found by clicking on the link above.