2021 Algonquin Outfitters Paddle Art Contest
We’ve had great fun hosting our first (2016-2017) and second (2018-2019) Algonquin Outfitters Paddle Art Contests and Auctions. We hope you’ve really enjoyed it too! Paddle blanks for our 2020-2021 contest are now available and can be purchased online or in our stores for $29.98 (+tax). You can visit our new online store to purchase one today (shipping is extra).
We’re hoping, with your help, that our third Paddle Art Auction for charity can be just as successful as in previous years. In 2017, we had 206 paddles in the auction and raised $20,094; in 2019, during our second Paddle Art Auction, we had 182 paddles in the auction and raised a total of $32,575 for some great local art charities!
Thank you for your continued support and creativity!
Paddles are on display, Monday to Friday 8:30 am until 4:30 pm, at the Algonquin Theatre until Sept 27th, 2021, with a special showing Saturday, Sept 25th from 10 am until 4 pm.
The Auction will be live from Monday, Sept 13th until Monday, Sept 27th, with the first lot starting to close at 8 pm.
View the Auction site online
Why are some paddles opening bids at $9,000,000? Algonquin Outfitters has chosen not to profit from indigenous culture. With respect to the artists’ work and effort, a $100 donation will be made by Algonquin Outfitters for each of these paddles to the auction’s charities. [More Info]
STEP ONE – REGISTER TO ENTER THE CONTEST
Registration is just $29.98 (+tax) and it includes a paddle “blank” that you can use for creating your masterpiece. You can register/purchase a paddle blank at one of our stores listed below or by clicking the paddle image link.
- Bracebridge: 60 Manitoba Street, Bracebridge Ontario P1L1S1 (Map/Directions) 705-645-9262
- Haliburton: 218 Highland Street, Haliburton Ontario K0M 1S0 (Map/Directions) 705-457-3737
- Huntsville: 86 Main Street East, Huntsville Ontario P1H 2C7 (Map/Directions) 705-787-0262
- Opeongo: Lake: Opeongo at Access Point #11 Algonquin Park (Map/Directions) 613-637-2075
- Oxtongue: 1035 Algonquin Outfitters Road, Dwight, Ontario, P0A 1H0 (Map/Directions) 705-635-2243
- Port Carling: 119 Medora Street, Port Carling Ontario P0B 1J0 (Map/Directions) 705-765-2074
- Online: purchase a paddle blank online. https://shop.algonquinoutfitters.com/
Q: Am I required to use the paddle blank provided by Algonquin Outfitters?
A: No, you do not have to use the paddle blanks we provide. If you would like to use your own material to create a paddle for the contest and auction, that’s fine. All art paddles must be delivered to (dropped off or shipped) a participating Algonquin Outfitters store, along with completed registration forms.
Q: Can I submit more than one entry?
A: Of course you can! You’re welcome to enter as many art paddles as you want, as long as you pay the registration fee and submit a completed form with each one.
STEP TWO – CREATE YOUR PADDLE ART
With your in-store registration, you will receive an unfinished 57″ wooden paddle. During the creation of your paddle, you may use any style of art you wish; painting, burning, carving, sculpture, etc. The use of extra material to create your finished paddle art is also allowed, as long as some part of it is still a paddle. The only limitation is your imagination!
You can still see paddles from our 2019 Auction for inspiration.
(Deadline: Aug 31, 2021)
- Complete a paddle art submission form and securely attach it to your paddle.
- Return your finished paddle to an Algonquin Outfitters store before the contest deadline of Aug. 31, 2021. If you wish to ship your paddle, please package and protect it to ensure safe delivery to the address below.
Optional Shipping Address:
Paddle Art Contest
C/O Algonquin Outfitters
86 Main Street East
Complete the form below to register your paddle entry in our contest.
You will receive an email copy of your submitted form; please print it and include it with your paddle.
PADDLE SUBMISSION FORM:
STEP FOUR – ONLINE AUCTION
The final step (and how we choose our winners) will take place between Monday, Sept. 13 and Monday, Sept. 27, 11:59 pm, 2021, with an online auction and live viewing at the Algonquin Theatre during the entire month (up to Sept. 27). This auction is being held to raise funds for the local charities we are currently supporting; details to be provided later.
The following organizations will receive funds raised by the 2021 Algonquin Outfitters Paddle Art Auction:
- Algonquin Art Centre – Algonquin Park
- Canadian Canoe Museum – Peterborough
- Huntsville Art Society – Artists in the Schools
- Huntsville Festival of the Arts
- Tom Thomson Gallery in Owen Sound
- Town of Huntsville’s reserved fund for future public art acquisition
Selections from our pool of prizes will be awarded to the artists of the paddles that raise the most at auction. A minimum of one prize will be added for every 25 paddles received.