Calendar of Events
Since 2006, the Paddling Film Festival World Tour has been showcasing the very best paddling films. The World Tour screens in more than 120 cities around the world. Join us for this year’s best paddling films. You’ll be inspired to explore rivers, lakes and oceans, push extremes, embrace the paddling lifestyle and appreciate the wild places.
Huntsville, Ontario, Friday June 1st 2018 – Algonquin Outfitters presents the 13th annual Paddling Film Festival at Algonquin Theatre in Huntsville on Friday June 1st 2018 at 7:30pm (doors open at 6:30pm).
The Paddling Film Festival is an international adventure film tour presenting the world’s best paddling films of the year – whitewater, sea kayaking, canoeing, SUP, action and lifestyle – in more than 120 cities and towns across Canada, United States and around the world.
With 20 inspiring paddling films shortlisted for the World Tour, including the 10 festival category winners, audiences will see hairy whitewater action, sea kayakers exploring remote coastlines, northern river canoe expeditions, international river travel films, motivating environmental documentaries, grueling kayak fishing battles and hilarious short films capturing the lighter side of paddling life.
Attracting paddlers and outdoor enthusiasts, audiences can expect a fun, social and entertaining event inspired by compelling films like:
- Chasing Wild – Three friends set off on a 400-kilometer bikepacking and packraft expedition to understand what is at stake as new mines are developed across the Sacred Headwaters
- Connected By Canoe – The canoe has many lessons to teach, such as “we’re all in the same boat”—can it also help Canadians of all backgrounds, regions and beliefs build an equitable, sustainable and inclusive future?
- Dugout – Two friends come up with a simple plan. Travel to the Ecuadorian Amazon, live with an Indigenous community, learn how to build a canoe, then go on an adventure
- Freedom – When avid kayaker Emily faces the biggest challenge of her life she shows us how to live without regrets
- Inside The Indus – Adventure kayakers Aniol Serrasolses, Mike Dawson and Ciaran Heurteau venture into the Rondu Gorge on the Indus River in Northern Pakistan to take on extreme whitewater
- Into Twin Galaxies – Using kite skis, three National Geographic Adventurers Of The Year tow their whitewater kayaks more than 1,000 kilometers on the Greenland Ice Cap to reach the most northern river ever paddled
- Return From Desolation – The story of an Afghan War vet who fought his way back from addiction and certain death through the wild, serpentine rivers of the American Southwest
- The Time Travelers – The USA Rafting Team has never won a world championship, but that didn’t stop them from attempting to break a legendary speed record through the Grand Canyon.
The Paddling Film Festival World Tour is produced by Rapid Media and presented in Huntsville by Algonquin Outfitters on Friday June 1st 2018 at 7:30pm (Doors open at 6:30pm).
For tickets and information call the Algonquin Theatre box office at (705) 789-4975 or 1-877-989-4975.
Paddling Film Festival Trailer & Feature Films
2018 Award-Winners Presented by Ontario Tourism Sponsored by Yakima
All touring films are now in contention for the Aqua-Bound People’s Choice Award
BEST INSTRUCTIONAL FILM
Sponsored by Thompson Rivers University Adventure Studies
Baltic Surge – Skeg Tutorial
DIRECTOR: Eike Köhler
BEST SEA KAYAKING FILM
Sponsored by TRAK Kayaks
Bass by Kayak
DIRECTORS: Beau Miles, Mitch Drummond
BEST SHORT FILM
Sponsored by The Paddle Responsibly Campaign
DIRECTOR & PRODUCER: Gabe DeWitt
Sponsored by the American Canoe Association (ACA)
Chasing Wild: Journey into the Sacred Headwaters
FILM BY: Tyler Wilkinson-Ray, Colin Arisman, Luke Kantola
BEST CANOEING FILM
Sponsored by Silverbirch Canoes
Connected by Canoe
DIRECTOR: Goh Iromoto
BEST KAYAK FISHING FILM
Sponsored by Pelican
DIRECTOR: Michael Ernst
BEST WHITEWATER FILM
Sponored by the Ottawa Valley Tourism Association
Inside the Indus – A Pakistani Odyssey
DIRECTOR: Ciaran Heurteau • PRODUCER: Mike Dawson
BEST ADVENTURE TRAVEL FILM
Sponsored by Kokatat
Into Twin Galaxies – A Greenland Epic
DIRECTOR: Jochen Schmoll • PRODUCERS: Red Bull Media House, Drehxtrem
BEST DOCUMENTARY FILM
Sponsored by the Canadian Canoe Museum
The Time Travelers
DIRECTOR: Forest Woodward • PRODUCER: Gnarly Bay Productions
BEST SUP FILM
Sponsored by PaddleSmart
DIRECTOR: Kelsey Thompson • PRODUCER: Blackfish Paddles
For the full list of touring films, visit our 2018 Film Selection page
How to buy tickets
Tickets are: $16+HST Adults and $12.50+HST Youth
Online: With the use of Visa or Master Card – purchase tickets online at https://tickets.algonquintheatre.ca/
In Person: At the theatre box office 37 Main Street East, Huntsville with the use of cash, Visa, Master Card, gift certificate or debit – see our hours of operation.
For special ticket requests or accessible services contact us by phone or in person.